Thursday, December 15, 2011

Spritz Cookies, Week 12 of the 12 Weeks of Cookies

I had to use those silver sprinkles, I mean those were the be all end all back in the day.

  So here we are, at the end of this awesome blog hop.  I only wish I had it found sooner, but what can you do right?

  Also before you read on, please check out this post and enter to win, there are still a few days left!

  I decided that for this last week I wanted to do a cookie that reminded me of my Christmas's growing up. And the cookie that was always out when I was little was Spritz cookies.  I don't know if the early 80's brought about  the inner Martha in women, or if the cookie press was the new "it" tool.  But I remember someone making these and me eating these every year.

  Now when I got married my mom got me my own cookie press, because I asked for it of coarse.  Show of hands, how many of you have one?
See a new way to bake with a lap top, and the old cookie press.  Ignore the cake mixes,  I see cake balls in the near  future.

  By another show of hands, how many of you have never used it?  Yep I thought so, I couldn't be the only one, right?  I even had the receipt in the box still.  So you know, it's about time I used it.  You know, 8 or so years later, might as well.

  Anyway I asked my mom for the recipe she used, as I remember them being so good, buttery and melt in your mouth.  So she sent me a copy of the one she said she used.  I have to say, either this is the wrong recipe or I messed up some how.  These cookies turned out well, just not like I remembered.  They were not bad, just not the way I wanted.( small update, my mom has confirmed she used a different recipe, I may have to kill her, or make more in the new year, either way.)

So here is the recipe that I used.

Spritz cookies:

1 Cup butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 TSP Vanilla
3 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 TSP Baking Powder
1/2 TSP Salt

-set oven to 400 (375 if you are using convection)
-beat butter and sugar until mixed
-add one egg at a time, then vanilla
-mix flour, baking powder and salt together
-add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated
-once mixed using parchment lined cookie sheets*  and form your cookie dough with the cookie press
-decorate with any type of sprinkle or coloured sugar you like
-bake for about 6 minutes, until just golden brown


* the parchment gives the cookies something to grab on to while you press them out, if you don't you may find it hard to get them to stick to the tray

I got about 10 dozen cookies
I may or may not have gotten Hubby to take me to Bulk Barn for more sprinkles.


  Now I asked my son if he wanted to help, and he said no, until he saw the cookie press

Son : What is that?
Me: It's a cookie gun.
Son: I'm helping!

  So he washed his hands, and I told him to sing the happy birthday song so he knew he washed long enough.  He asked me who he had to sing it to, and I said whoever.  So he sang happy birthday "to no one"  and then continued to sing "are you 1, are you 2, are you 3" and so on until he hit about 30.  His hands were clean for sure
My attempt at a fancy holiday picture, I know, I failed.

Then I showed him how to work the cookie press, and he would press it, yell "reload" and do it again, over and over.  I should have known better than to ask him to help
I made some with pink sugar because I think Christmas doesn't just have to be traditional colours.

  Anyway, I don't think these cookies turned out like the ones I remember my mom making, hers were more of a shortbread, so soft and buttery.  These, well they were typical spritz cookies. So I am a little disappointed. But  not really because they took less than a hour from start to finish and I got a lot to share.  So it brought back some good memories, I guess I have a some new ones with my son, and I have a tummy ache, because I had to sample about 10 to see if they were as good as my moms.
All ready to go to work and treat some of my friends.

So if you have the unused cookie press in your basement, dig it out and take a walk down memory lane.

Also I have to update that Hubby ate a whole bunch of these.  I asked if he wanted to bring some to work, he said sure asked what they were and I thought that was it.  The next day, the container was empty. He ate them all!  I don't get him, all the things I make and love and this is what he likes.  Sigh.

IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

15 comments:

Tam said...

LOL!! Your cookies are nice though!

No, I don't have a cookie press. I only got a cookie scoop a few years ago. LOL

Saucy Siciliana said...

What fun, and what memories! I will come back and follow you later, your followers button and list are not showing at the moment. Best greetings from Rome, Italy.

Unknown said...

Tam, you are so funny, I really did not need it, but you know, I cannot turn down a kitchen gadget.
Francesa, thanks for stopping by:) I hope you do come back and follow, the link button is up for me, so it could be a glitch, I am still really new to this. Hope to see you here soon.

Anonymous said...

I didn’t have a cookie press. We are not big spritz eaters.

I can totally relate on the things Hubby's like. Sometimes I toss together a very simple, meat and cheese thing in 10 minutes and get rave reviews. ? ? ?

At least I use up some leftovers from the fridge and empty out a jar or two before mold set it.

Robyn
http://thranchwifechronicles.com/

Tracy said...

Haha a cookie gun; hilarious. I have one and love it...I make spritz every year!

Connie Mercer said...

My hubby loves those spritz cookies!!!I just hate to make them~

beti said...

they look really good, I would love to make them!

Tracey Taylor said...

They look delicious!

laurie said...

I love spritz! I can see why your hubby ate them all!

Michele said...

Those look delicious! I have that same cookie gun. Can't wait to make some cookies this weekend.

Izzy Anderson said...

Men! Your cookies look terrific. I love that kind. Too bad there none left to send my way.

Suzanne B. Webb said...

I don't have a cookie press, but do remember growing up with my mom's spritz cookies, good memories!

Tam said...

Ok, I tried making those damn peppermint patties again. Plan B of 'dipping' didn't work. It was fine for the first side (spreading the chocolate on) but let the chocolate firm up before flipping and doing the other side. But then they didn't stick to pan or wax paper so I had to try and hold them so they didn't move while I spread the other side. So now I have realized you must be using a dipping fork to do it. (I tried a regular fork the first time and it's too small - the patty starts to bend over the sides. Putting them in the freezer doesn't seem to make much difference.)

Unknown said...

Oh Tam what a pain! I'm sorry, they really are so good. How long did you freeze them for? I do use a dipping fork and I only take out like 3 at a time and keep them in the freezer while I do, they thaw out so fast! Another girl actually made it a little thinner then used a chocolate mold, she coated the mold to let the chocolate set then poured in a thinner mint mixture then covered in chocolate. I hope that helps, they are so good.

Jackie said...

We just recently bought a cookie press. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I will have to give it a go using this recipe. Thanks for sharing.